Telok Ayer Street
According to the building's historical plaque, "this historical mosque . . . began life in 1827 as a thatched hut. Its modest structure gave rise to its other name, given by its Indian Muslim congregation — Kuchu Palli —, meaning 'small mosque' in Tamil. The Indian-Muslim worshippers at Al-Abrar Mosque were mostly from the Coromandel Coast of southern India, known as Chulias.
"From 1850-1855, the humble hut wqs transformed into a brick and plaster structure, with a simple Indian-Islamic shceme. In 1986 extensive renovations were carried out, resulting in the mosque that stands here today, The prayer hal was extended by one floor, increasing thre mosque's capacity from 300 to 800."